Don't believe the truth
By Les Roberts
Updated Thursday, 23rd July 2009
There's a rumour going around that some middle eastern consortium (yawn!) are looking to take over at Everton but club officials have denied that there have been any talks...so who's telling the truth?According to this morning's newspapers Chris Nathaniel, the M.D. of NVA Management, is telling anyone that'll listen of how a United Arab Emirates business consortium is preparing to take charge at Everton.
Now, before the 'Fortress Sports Fund' alarm starts ringing, Chris Nathaniel - though it could feasibly be a nome de plume for Chris Samuelson - does sound like the real deal as his NVA Management firm has Rio Ferdinand and John Terry amongst it's clients.
Speaking of John Terry, the papers are also saying today that City are ready to offer the Chelsea defender £250,000 a week...that's £1 million a month!
Welcome to the FA Pissing Contest...the new name for the Premier League.
Anyway, this Nathaniel cat...he's claiming that he's already met with the club and, despite meeting with other Premier League clubs, talks with Mr Kenwright (that'll be Bill, the Everton chairman) are at the most advanced stage.
Mr Nathaniel has said: "I can confirm I am acting on behalf of a UAE-based business consortium, who are chaired by a prominent Dubai businessman, and that I am currently in discussions with a number of Premier League clubs, one of which is Everton Football Club."
But this is news to everyone at the club, particularly Ian Ross, Everton Head of Communication.
In response to the reports of a takeover Ross said: "At a shareholders' meeting last week Bill Kenwright said regarding takeovers there's nothing on the table and there's nothing imminent."
But then the story gets a bit more interesting as one of those infamous 'deep throat' type sources close to the club gets involved.
Football clubs really should do something about these whistle blower types, they're obviously the ones in dark overcoats skulking around the corridors when no one else is about.
Anyway, our 'source' confirmed that a delegation had already visited Goodison Park and then added: "I expect an official approach and offer to Everton in a short space of time."
He then went on to say how the takeover was appealing to the consortium due to the scope of building a "football village" next to the proposed site at Kirkby whereby fans would be encouraged to visit restaurants, bars and shop after matches.
Presumably by puppy-eyed stewards who will follow fans out the ground pleading them to get the big shop in before they go home.
Now this all sounds to me like a bit of spin by the club to make Destination Kirkby sound a bit more appealing to those that had previously baulked at the idea.
Up until now any increase in revenue as a result of the move to Kirkby had been marginal, supposedly around £10 million a season.
Which sounds like a fair amount season-on-season but, as we've seen with the £7 million we made from last season's FA Cup run, it doesn't really go anywhere.
So whilst the club are, on the one hand, denying there have been any discussions with a UAE business consortium they are then using the opportunity to dupe the fans into believing that any future investment hangs on whether the club move to Kirkby!
Which seems like a pointless exercise as it's now out of the fans' hands, the only thing holding up Destination Kirkby, apart from drawing pins and blu tack, is government red tape.
So is this an attempt by the club to appease the shareholders and fans that are asking where the investment is coming from?
When Destination Kirkby is finally thrown out and no investment is forthcoming, the club can then lay the blame at the door of the beaurocrats that scuppered the plans for the proposed new stadium.
Which makes it hard to believe anything you read or hear...never mind trying to work out just what the truth is!